Saturday, January 11, 2014

This one time, at music camp...

So, you think music teachers finish school in December and then go and chill until it's time to return at the end of January?

No way! That's just extra time to play!

View from the dining hall
I have just spent a magical eight days at the historical Camp Quaranup in Albany. A group of musicians runs a music camp from the site at the end of each year (or the start of the next one, depending on how you look at it). Who wouldn't enjoy playing music all day with like-minded people when you have the added bonus of views like these?

View from the gazebo, my favourite spot
View from my dorm











The camp has been running for 41 years. It is a mix of amateurs and professionals, beginners and seasoned players, young and old, but all with a common goal - to play wonderful music together.

Sibelius 5 sight-reading
There are two main orchestras, arranged by experience. Both are 'play-through' orchestras, meaning we read down a different large work or two every day, regardless of the results! It is great to get exposed to that amount of orchestral music (and then find out which bits you actually would need to work on if you were to perform it!)

There is an ensemble that caters for younger players and those with not much ensemble experience. This is also where the players on second instruments can be found. Sometimes, the first lesson they have on their instrument is from a fellow player the night before the first rehearsal. True story.

In the afternoons, we break into chamber music sessions. Wind quintets and octets, string orchestra and quartets and any other combination of small ensemble you can think of occurs in these sessions. Often, experienced players are teamed up with younger or less experienced players, all in the name of exposure to good playing, wonderful music, leadership and new ensemble skills.

The evenings are not just reserved for music. We have quiz nights, choral nights, bush dancing and more. Some nights we will play through major wind works such as the Dvorak Serenade or the Mozart Gran Partita. There might be a swing band rehearsal. There is a concerto night. There is as much to absorb as there is to participate in.

I attended the camp primarily as an oboist this year, whereas in the past I have attended primarily as a flautist (my first instrument). I thought I was in pretty good shape from the gigs I had done through December.

My reedmaking sessions
Day One the muscles in my lips gave out early. Day Two I bit through both lips (probably as a result of the oboe solo in Bizet Symphony no. 1). Day Three I healed nicely and began to develop some stamina. Day Four to Eight I was invincible. If only I could play that much and maintain those chops throughout the year!

And I couldn't resist all the relaxing time in between sessions to make some reeds. My reedmaking adventures have been largely on hiatus since arriving home in June. Finally I had time! And what a backdrop...

The thing I enjoy the most about camp is the great connections you make with like-minded people, some of whom are colleagues, others who play alongside you in ensembles back home. It is a family oriented environment, where the 'village raising a child' model definitely applies. It is great to come to camp in successive years and watch the musical development of many players, and watch how quickly the kids really do grow up.

I think it is important for musicians of any age or stage to find that certain thing that makes music relevant and meaningful. The music is great, but we know there is more to participating in music than just playing. Music is social and cultural. I have found a little musical niche that keeps it fresh and interesting, and it means so much more when you find it!


You might also find yourself getting more in touch with nature, as Spidey here demonstrated when he dropped in for some Dvorak.

(The picture doesn't do it justice. He was huge. And he hung around for several days.)

Hope you are all enjoying your summer so far!


No comments:

Post a Comment